So I picked up some muslin-ing fabric, a deep red Martha Stewart sheet on sale at the local Goodwill. Once I washed it, it was more of a brick red -- a lot of the dye bled out, but thankfully, I'd washed it all by itself. And I started working on Vogue 8755. I never did enter the LWD contest, as I barely finished the muslin before the deadline. But I like it so much that I've been wearing it with great delight. The only issue I found is that it is a bit snug around the ribcage -- I'd like another half-inch in each side seam. Fortunately the fabric has enough give that it isn't uncomfortably snug, though. I guess the pre-cutting measurements weren't so bad!
I've worn it a couple of times now, and am pleased that even if I didn't get further than my muslin, at least the red muslin itself has become a fun dress, that works with a sweater and tights but will also work alone in summer.
|With grey tights & sweater|
|I added pockets, of course|
|One of my better zips ever --|
but you can notice that I haven't
sewn in the hook & eye at the top yet...
The only thing that this pattern was missing was pockets, so of course I added some. Simple side seam pockets, there was lots of room for them and they are so useful to have. I used the same fabric for them, again, as I was just going to test it all out. This wearable muslin is a winner!