I finished my last project for the Burdastyle Teacher Certification Course this weekend and am happy to say that I am now a Burda Certified instructor. If I wish to start teaching, that is; at the moment I find my full time job busy enough for me.
But I'd really wanted to do this course for a while, and since my One Word for the year was "Complete", I am really happy it helped me to finally complete this course. Of course 2020 threw us a few curveballs, but at least this was an online course and seemed like a good fit for life currently!
My final project was the Burda 109 08/2015 cropped jacket. Funnily enough, this pattern is from the very first issue of Burdastyle magazine I ever bought myself, while on vacation in Montreal -- it's in French, too. I recall seeing it at one of my old hangouts, Tabac Etc. at the Atwater Market, and deciding that it was time to give Burda a try. Of course it's taken me five years to make a jacket from that issue!
Anyhow, on to the sewing details! It's a cropped, fully lined jacket. And it was surprisingly straightforward to make. I cut it in 42, which fits my shoulders best, and hoped it would fit well enough all over since it is a straight cut, and only just to the waist. I shortened the sleeves by 2" because I thought they would be too long, and I prefer a bracelet length. I also shortened the body by 1" after my flat pattern measurements.
I really like the fit, but if I make it again, I don't think I'll shorten the body, and adjust the sleeve to only 1" shorter. I don't usually have issues with things being TOO short for my petite frame, and I do like this jacket version. But I think a slightly longer one would be just that much better.
The fabric is a linen/rayon/cotton blend from the drapery section of my local Fabricland, which I bought a few weeks ago. It was a remnant and I had just enough for this jacket (another reason I shortened everything slightly!). I used some black bemberg lining from my stash as well. This is the first time I've done a full lining in a jacket and it went fairly well. I really like the instructions for a centre back ease pleat, and it makes wearing the jacket quite comfortable.
A single clasp at the neckline is an optional feature of this pattern, and I had a silver one I was going to use, but in the end I didn't think it looked right, so left it off. I'll be wearing this open over a dress nearly always anyhow!
There was nothing too hard in this pattern, and I think adding a bit of trim or mini patch pockets could give you a Chanel feel pretty easily. I'm pleased with the final product (and I so love houndstooth!) and I think it could be changed up to give a different look without much effort. A winner for me, and a great finish to an interesting and useful online class.