I recently shared a photo of a pattern that I found when I was sorting through my stash -- it's a c1991 Vogue 8132, a "Very Easy Vogue Sport" jumper pattern that I bought in 1991 and have meant to make ever since! I decided that it was time to cut it and make it up.
This coincided with the grand reopening of our local Fabricland -- it nearly closed this year but was relocated instead, to the great relief of all the sewists in our community. This weekend was the opening of the new location, which is bright and big and full of wonderful things (and people!)
I picked up a few knits and a couple of patterns. When I saw the black and white houndstooth on sale I knew exactly what to do with it.
Added to this brand new fabric was my very old pattern. Because I bought this Vogue pattern in 1991, it only went up to size 12. But with the oversize silhouette, I was able to grade it up to only a 14 and have plenty of room. I didn't need to go overboard and try to add a size 16 in ;)
I think it looks quite similar to the original!
|Trying to pose like the pattern cover but not quite getting there LOL|
It's an easy sew, for sure. There are facings for the neck and arms, but I just used bias binding -- there is no need for any stretch in either spot, so the binding helps to stabilize the knit as well. Then I gave it a 1" hem, which necessitated some gathering from a basting line at about 1/4" that I put in before turning up the hem. When I finished stitching, the hem was pretty bumpy, but a gentle steam press straightened that all out.
I wore it as inspired by the pattern cover today, but could easily wear a red turtleneck and tights for a whole different look. It is comfy, cute, and gives lots of room for those holiday dinners! A winner for me.
So by combining a pattern I've had for nearly 29 years with some fabric that I've had for barely 2.9 days, I've made myself a fun and comfortable jumper. It's finally off the list!