Sometimes you've just got to make something that you really need, even if it seems like boring sewing! I really needed a new black skirt -- my default RTW pair are both getting old and tired, and somehow they don't seem to fit well anymore...
Instead of going shopping, obviously I checked my stash of patterns and fabrics. I found this Butterick 5466 and matched it up with a remnant in my stash, a fairly sturdy stretch woven that I'd picked up cheap because it had some markings on the wrong side. With this panelled skirt I was able to cut around most of the markings and make something useful!
I chose View E, and didn't make many alterations. I cut the waist at 18 and the rest at 20, basted and tried it on and then decided to add some side seam pockets. I used scraps of cotton broadcloth for lightweight pockets. They mostly worked; the right side sags a bit so I'll be unpicking the pocket seam and redoing that side, just snugging it up a touch to make it lie more smoothly.
I didn't shorten the pattern pieces, so I just decided what length I wanted to hem it at once it was done. I like this length and think that this basic will be very useful. Not an exciting or pretty make, but one that was much needed!