The first few items I've finished are all knit tops. I really don't like plain t-shirts very much, but I've found a lack of quick and comfy tops in my wardrobe. For this project I am trying to use up as much of my stash fabric as possible, so I pulled out 2 patterns and matched them up with two lengths of black knit that were left over from other projects.
The first pattern is Kwik Sew 3559.
This is actually a dress but I cut it off to tunic length, both because I had just enough fabric for that and because I really wanted this style of top rather than another dress. I really, really love it.
|Full view. Perfect length for me
|Front view with gathers. You can tell here how
much this thin knit doesn't approve of the iron.
|The back is straight, no gathers. It falls nicely.
Next up was Simplicity 2181. I had grand visions of this one, even if I was making it out of a thicker plain black instead of a thin and shiny print. It was a bit of a slog, in the sense that the construction had me confused. Probably best not to start a new project instead of heading to bed... but in any case, I got this one done and I do like it. I don't think the sizing is quite right though -- the gathers at the shoulder seams are uneven and cause funny bulky issues. I wonder if that 's because I should have taken some width out of the shoulder. It does make me feel a bit frumpy.
There was a fair bit of gathering to do, and an unusual seam that formed the opening for the little gathering band. I did find the order of sewing the sleeve cuffs on a bit odd -- they're supposed to be sewn on flat, before the side seams, but I thought that would leave an ugly inner sleeve, so sewed up the sides then sewed the cuffs on as a band.
But the good thing is when I tried it on tonight I did like it better than last night upon finishing. So perhaps it'll grow on me!
Anyhow, the next couple of planned projects are not basic black -- they are quite bright, in contrast! But I know I'll get a lot of wear out of these black basic tees. Especially the Kwik Sew!