I'm continuing along with my Creative Bug sewalong schedule, just running a touch behind but have caught up with these wide leg pants!
I'm not a big pant wearer, as I have mentioned before. But I enjoyed the process of measuring and plotting out the relevant points to end up with a pattern for wide leg elastic waist summer trousers.
They don't have to be wide leg, you can decide on the width and ease but I am happy with the straight leg shape here.
I am still NOT happy with the rise -- despite my measurements I still find this waistband too low for my preferences. I can certainly wear these, and the overall fit is really quite nice. But I am planning to add an inch to the front rise and at least another inch & a half to the back rise so that they sit more on my natural waist and don't fit too closely in the crotch area. I hope it will work!
For now, I made my first fitting trial from a pair of old curtains. They are a crisp cotton, and make me think of hippie style beach pajamas. I was very careful to line up the diamond motifs down the front of each leg. Which left flowers in an unfortunate spot!! Good thing these are only a trial that might get wear around the house. I also added in basic side seam pockets, of course, just in case these were wearable.
I enjoyed this whole process, and while I didn't get a perfect fit, I understand the relationship between measurements better now and will make some adjustments. Looking forward to learning more in the next lesson.