My inspiration is of course the many mushrooms grown in the Amatka factories, to supply their new world with myco-matter for all their needs. Also, as Vanja notes in her first shopping trip, blues and greens were common colours for clothing in Amatka. I added this inspo to the aptly named Factory Dress, and cut a top version. I made the full Factory Dress for the last round of the Literary Sewing Circle, and really love the shape and fit, and have been wanting to make a top ever since. So this is it!
I cut it at the same sizing as last time, and was just a little more careful to match up the pattern on the pocket. I didn't think to check on the front seam matching -- I should have cut it flat to be sure to get everything lined up. As it is, my fabric wasn't perfectly evenly folded so it's shifted a bit at centre front.
Plus, when I cut the bottom band I tried to line it up with the print, but it's still a bit off, but with the same result...not visually disturbing. I think the pattern is uneven enough that it all melds together.
To make the top view, I simply cut the bodice as it was drafted, and then cut a 7" wide band for the bottom. With it folded in half, and then a 1/2" attachment seam, the actual band is 3" deep. This gives a perfect cropped shape for me, not too short. If I was using a very particular print, I'd probably just lengthen the body by 3" to reduce the pattern matching requirements. Or use a contrast band and collar/facing combo.
But I think that this worked out pretty well, and I really like the lightness and tiny nod to mushrooms. The shape of the collar is so great on this pattern, too. This will be a fun wear this summer.