Friday, November 27, 2020

Shirt No. 1, a Boxy Basic

Two things, well three really, came together into today's project. First, the Sewcialists are hosting a mini-challenge right now focusing on easy tees, the #SewcialistsTNTee. Second, I checked out CreativeBug via a local library, and found that the 100 Acts of Sewing Shirt No. 1 was a featured class and pattern. Lastly, I had a small piece of wool blend suiting that I thrifted ages ago that jumped out at me as the perfect fit for this pattern -- I've been wanting to use it for ages but could never find the right small yardage pattern, until now.

This is a simple boxy top, but I've always liked the way it fits on the versions I've seen people make, so when I saw it on CreativeBug I knew I'd have to give it a try. I traced off size M, grading to L at the hips. It is just one piece, the same for front and back. I laid it out on my small 1 metre of fabric, and then second guessed myself and took 1/2" wedge out of the centre front and back as I often do with wide necklines. This had the advantage of giving me the literal extra 1/2" I needed at the sleeve edges so that I could fit this into my fabric. 

It's a quick and clear sewing process; sew up the shoulder seams and side seams, press and hem the sleeve edges and bottom edge. I gave mine a 1/2" hem at both spots. Then I finished the neckline with some prepackaged black bias tape. I am a slow sewer but this only took me just over 2 hours to make from cutting out to wearing. .For me that is a quick project! I did have to take a bit of extra time in the cutting stage, to try to line up the red stripe in my limited yardage, but I think I got pretty close. 

Because this is a wool blend I planned to wear this as a layering piece, and I'm so glad it worked out over my turtleneck and fave Lindy Petal skirt. It also works with my fabulous thrifted necklace, which makes me happy :) 

Next time I think I'll cut large all around to give it more boxiness, and also, instead of taking that centre wedge from the neckline, I'll leave the width and just cut the shoulder seams further in so there is no bra strap viewing. And I may lower the front neckline a bit. 

I do like the shape and fit of this, however, and it's such an easy project that it's worth it. There are also a couple of variations in the pattern, for a button front version and a bias cut bottom section version. I can see trying a wide range of adaptations in this one.

I'm pleased with my fall/winter version of Shirt No. 1, and think I'll be making other summery ones too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments, ideas or suggestions here -- I am always interested in hearing from readers. It's nice to have a conversation!