This is my sewing blog, so I'll be returning to mainly talking about sewing, but I'll also be remembering that anti-racism is more than just a one week flash, it's a lifelong practice. And so I'll be examining how I share and do my best to keep these issues current as I blog, even about my sewing.
And now for the second project I made using the grey checked cotton I made my first Cielo from! I thought that this fabric would be perfect for a button front 80s/90s inspired skirt like the patterns I've been seeing everywhere lately.
So I went back to the source, a 1992 pattern in my stash, Butterick 6222. This is a wardrobe pattern which includes a pleated/gathered button front skirt among other items (including an interestingly seamed cami top).
Like other patterns from this era, the waist is quite small. I had to add 2.5" to the waistband, but found that it came out a smidge too big -- I didn't account for some fabric stretch, I guess. I only had access to buttons in my stash when making this, and found these clear ones that I think look good on this fabric, but my buttonholer didn't like them much and I find that the buttonholes are a bit bigger than ideal. It still works fine, it's just the waistband button with its extra stress that shifts a bit. I added a snap to the waistband button overlap to keep it a little less shifty.
There were no pockets in this pattern -- bonkers, as a full skirt is the perfect place to hide some side seam pockets. So I added some, using a very lightweight poly from my stash (an old microfibre sheet I thrifted and use for things like this).
I like it, but remember now why I don't really wear this style of skirt much any more -- I used to wear this style ALL the time in the late 80s/90s. There is a lot of volume, and my height and pear shape don't exactly work with this style the way I'd hoped. But it's a comfortable wear, and when I took the pictures in the evening of a hot day, I found that this fabric is so very cool.
I can wear it with a matching top for a real 80s throwback - boxy top and full long skirt -- or with a much less voluminous top like the black linen tank top from New Look 6035 that I made about 6 years ago now!
I only had a smidge of trouble with this one -- I somehow put in a buttonhole near the top in the wrong spot, closer to button four than button two! And I had already cut it before I noticed. I decided to try a spot of mending, and unpicked the buttonhole, fused the edges to the facing and then 'darned' it with a mix of white and grey threads. You can't notice it unless you're looking for it, so I think it worked. I'm quite pleased that I now have symmetrical buttons, after restitching the buttonhole in the correct spot. Just when you've think you've made every possible sewing error, another one pops up! Always a journey.