Saturday, May 19, 2018
Margot Peplum top in purple polka dots
I tried out a new-to-me indie pattern company this month! For some reason, I recently got it into my head that I wanted to make a peplum knit shirt, and when looking around I found this design by Love Notions, a company I hadn't really paid much attention to before, thinking that it was a lot of children's patterns. I was wrong -- I found this lovely Margot Peplum top, at a time that there was a sale on. So I bought it, traced it off, and finally got around to making it this month.
I used a thrifted poly knit which is kind of heavy and less stretchy than is optimal. But I thought for a first try of this pattern, it would be sufficient, and besides, I loved the polka dot print.
There are a few options to combine in this pattern - this time, I chose to make the solid bodice, with elbow sleeves and the swing skirt. It all fit together beautifully. I fall smack in the middle of M & L in the sizing so cut about midway between those sizes. I used a narrow zigzag stitch on most of the construction and it seems to have done the trick -- this knit is not going to fray or ravel, or probably ever self-destruct in a million years.
I did extend the length of the peplum by an inch or so, as I like a bit more of a tunic-y length to my loose tops. And I finished the neckline with a bias facing. I really like the way it has turned out. I think this might be another reliable pattern that I will end up making more than once -- I'm even thinking of extending the peplum and making this into a dress, as I like the bodice fit a lot. Perhaps I'll even try the princess seam version sometime!
The only thing to note is the the peplum attaches to the bodice essentially at an empire line, so on a windy day like the one on which I took my photos, attention must be paid to gusts! At least it keeps you cool ;)
This pattern was a winner for me, and I look forward to trying another of Love Notions' designs. I've already downloaded her Laundry Tee, let's see how long it takes me to get around to making that one...
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Nice- that would indeed make a great dress. I made myself a peplum top a few years back...and on my shape and size it looked horrendous...like a fat lampshade. I'm jealous!ReplyDelete
haha! I'm sure it wasn't as bad as you think - we are always so hard on ourselves :) But peplums are indeed tricky, I agree. I was quite pleasantly surprised by this one!Delete
It looks really nice!!ReplyDelete
Thanks! I like this pattern and have a feeling I'll be making a couple more of these :)Delete