This month's Monthly Stitch theme is the long-awaited Indie Pattern Month. Unlike other months, this is also a competition of sorts, with prizes for each weekly theme.
I bought this tropical print cotton just a couple of months ago at a thrift store, and knew immediately that it would make a fabulous Cambie. It's a medium weight with a crisp finish, and it just called out for a sundress.
|Love these cut-on pockets!|
Since I was already planning to use this fabric for a Cambie, the Monthly Stitch theme gave me incentive to get moving on it. I cut it out on a Wednesday night, and was finishing up the hem on Sunday morning. Sometimes a group deadline is really helpful!
The busyness of the fabric was both blessing and curse. I had to lay out the pattern pieces carefully, and moved them around quite a bit before cutting, since I wanted to avoid a red flower or yellow stamen landing in the wrong spots. I think I managed in the end. You can see the print clearly in these closeups.
It's a very well-designed dress, fully lined, with the nice suggested detail of making the inner waistband piece in the fashion fabric. I love that detail even if only you know it's there. It gives the inside such a nice feel. And there is a fabulous technique for sewing the lining to the invisible zip so that you don't have to hand stitch it, which I love as it is both quicker and tidier looking in the end.
I made my regular size alterations: a horizontal wedge out of the mid-back and a vertical one at the shoulder, for my shorter upper back. I also shorten the shoulder pieces by 1/2" as I need to raise the bodice a bit, again, short upper torso. I'm also not a big fan of a princess neckline on myself so I once again changed this neckline to a straight one; I quite like the strong square effect it gives with this shoulder straps. The only other alteration I made was to add an inch to the length, as I wanted it a little longer than my previous make to give it the right vintage feel.
Another win for the Cambie. It's a great pattern that makes a lovely dress. I found that I had to make a bodice muslin the first time around and did have to make a number of minor adjustments, as I've noted. So I do recommend muslining this one. But because of the drafting with the pear-shaped figure in mind, I didn't have to make major adjustments like usual with a fitted style. I love this design and think it is a really sassy dress. Here's me feeling a little like Anna Wintour in it!
SO PRETTY! The fabric is wonderful and you look great wearing it!ReplyDelete
Thank you! I absolutely could not resist this wonderful fabric at the thrift store ;)Delete
You go girl! This is lovely - well done!ReplyDelete
Thanks - I really love how this pattern fits me, & thought of it instantly when I saw this fabric.Delete
Great dress - good job :)ReplyDelete
Thank you! I enjoy making this one as it is so well designed.Delete
The neckline is absolutely gorgeous on you!ReplyDelete
Thanks Rhonda! I changed it for my first version and just love the look of the square neckline.Delete
Lovely dress and fits beautifully too. Well done!ReplyDelete
Thank you! I do love this pattern :)Delete
I love this on you Melissa! Always a good day finding cool thrifted fabric;) I have yet to make a Cambie, but I'm using the sleeves in another dress. Fits you like a glove & I love the tropical print:)ReplyDelete
Thanks - yes, it is fun to match random fabric finds with patterns :)Delete
Melwyk-love this dress on you! Great fit and very flattering. Love the tropical vive!ReplyDelete
Thanks - I love wearing it :)Delete