A Simply Luxe Sweatshirt with Simplicity 1317

10:41 PM


This was a simple, scrap busting project. I had some sale table remnants -- a grey velour & a black quilted piece that I'd bought with another project in mind entirely. So I decided to combine them in a quick sweatshirt; not my usual style but I thought it might be fun. And Simplicity 1317 was staring at me from my pattern overflow basket on the top of my work shelves.

Simplicity Misses' Pullover Knit Top 1317

Because I was using bits, I didn't have quite enough black to cut full sleeves. So I cut them as long as possible - to just below the elbow - and added on wide cuffs. I like the length it gives. It's probably where I would have scrunched up the sleeves to anyhow.



This was supposed to be a quick & easy project, however, I gave myself more work than necessary by adding in too much ease around the hips. I thought it would be too form fitting so added in way too much extra, and by the way, that just looks worse than having something fit. I had to unpick the bottom band and resize the shirt, then stitch the band back on. I love the final result. If I'd just stuck with my plan to cut Med. at the neckline/bust and taper to Large -- no more! -- at hips it would have been fine.



However, as I hate fixing things, even immediately after I've sewn them and realized my mistake, the original oversize monstrosity sat on the back of a chair for 3 weeks before I spent the half hour required to fix it. Sigh. Mending is my Waterloo. Anyhow, without the mistake of adding in a way too generous amount of ease, this was a straightforward make. Clear instructions, and now that I know my basic fitting issue with raglan sleeves, I had no problem getting this to sit nicely. My right shoulder is shallower so I take out 1/2 inch at the raglan seam from the neck, tapering to nothing by the armpit area, only in the front. It works like a charm.

 

This was an unusual choice for me, and I enjoyed trying it out. It's influenced a new project, which I'm also making out of a quilted polyknit, though a much brighter one. Hope to have that done soon. And then on to some summer dresses!

I haven't been sewing or posting as much as usual, though, as I'm working on a new stitching project that I am hoping to share here in the next few weeks. I've been spending a lot of time on it, even dreaming about stitches and colours lately! It's been really satisfying, and I look forward to sharing it.





You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. These sorts of tops usually get lots of wear. Practical and comfy. The quilted fabric adds an interesting detail. Glad you went back and fixed it...so worth that little bit of extra effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will actually wear it quite a bit - it is comfy and doesn't feel too casual for me, thanks to the fabrics.

      Delete
  2. I hear ya - I hate making alterations! And, usually, like your project, it only takes a little time to make them; I am glad you took the time. Great top - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'm glad I did too - worth mending things once I actually get to it - I just loathe the part when you have to start ;)

      Delete

Share your comments, ideas or suggestions here -- always room for more!

Sewcialists

Monthly Stitch

Popular Posts