Another dress complete in my blue & yellow sewing plan! This one was a bit of an outlier -- I found this fabric in my stash after making my plans so added it to the pile, as it fit in just right.
I had Burda 143 from one of my magazines (April 1990) on the original plan, matched up with a solid yellow linen blend, but decided to test it out on this busy print first. It was perfect.
I made some sizing adjustments, as the dress only came in two sizes (older Burda mags don't have the full nested sizing). I traced this in a 44, which is okay for me as I'm a 42/44 in Burda. I simply cut the bodice without any seam allowance, and that brings it down to a 42 (with 1/2" seams). I did shorten the bodice by one inch, but will take up another half inch if I make it again to get it just right. I also added a 1/2" wedge of seam allowance at the bottom side seam of the bodice so that it would match up with the skirt, though, and so that the waistline would be the right size.
The skirt I cut as a 44 with 1/2" seam allowance all around. After measuring, I decided to add 2" at the hem to give myself room to decide on hem depth. I didn't think 1" would be enough, and I was right. As it is, I ended up hemming it only 3/4", so will add in 1.5" of length to the pattern so that I don't forget I added so much if I make it again!
But other than those sizing decisions, this was a quick and easy sew. I really love the skirt; it has slash pockets, my fave kind, and has a tulip shape. The back slit is just the allowances on each side pressed under and topstitched, with the neck facing, hem and sleeve hems all topstitched as well. It's quite cute. If this was a solid with contrast topstitching it would be a nice feature -- although I'd have to be more careful with the topstitching in that case ;)
I really like the fit of this one so think I may make it again - that yellow linen blend is still a great choice for another version. But I have so many patterns I want to try I'm not sure how soon I'll get to a second one!
It fits beautifully! And looks just like the magazine photo. Well done!ReplyDelete
Thanks so much! Really happy with how it turned out.Delete
This dress is fantastic. It fits perfectly. Nice work!ReplyDelete
I'm really pleased with it. I do find Burda easy to fit to me by this time but this one was a little wonkier than normal ;)Delete
Wow, you are good Melanie. Another win.ReplyDelete
Aw, thanks! Happy to have finally had the perfect pattern for this fabric.Delete