But I have been wanting a few solid pieces to mix and match, and in my recent sewing spate of projects for the Monthly Stitch in July (all sewn from stash fabric I am pleased to say) I uncovered a few bits & pieces that I had forgotten. One of them was a piece of black knit, just heavier than a t-shirt knit; there was about a metre of it.
Then I saw this pattern in a recent Burda magazine and got it into my head that I really, really needed a black maxi skirt before the summer was over.
Burda designed this easy elastic-waisted skirt, with cut-on pockets, for wovens, but I was determined to use this piece of black knit. It's not heavy enough to stretch under its own weight, but not light enough to cling awkwardly either, so I went for it.
The only changes I had to make to it were to take 6 inches out of the length (I am barely 5"2). I took the length out just above the knee, and adjusted the side slits to sit right at my upper knee and not higher -- my preference.
I love this skirt! It fits comfortably, has great pockets, is quick & easy to sew, and is so pleasing to wear. The movement in it is wonderful. Not only do the side slits give it an openness but the heavier knit also makes it kind of swishy & springy when I walk. I can't really explain it so I took a quick video!
I can already tell I am going to be wearing this one a lot, and want to make one in the lightweight woven it was designed for as well. I'm really pleased with the comfort and basic usefulness of this skirt!