A quick post to share my latest make: a knit tee that worked in every way, that I had no problems cutting or sewing -- what a pleasure! Made it last night, wore it today.
I made my version from a piece of fabric I had left after cutting out an unfinished object from so long ago that I don't even know where it ended up... wasn't sure I had enough fabric left for the pattern I wanted to make, Simplicity 3790, View E (the orange one on the pattern envelope), but when I laid it out, the shoulder yoke stretched right up to the edge of the "tail" of fabric left on the remnant I had, and it fit with about an inch to spare! Meant to be, I guess :)
The yoke was interesting - I didn't get the opening perfectly straight but close enough to be perfectly wearable. Attaching the front and back was a bit of a puzzle for a bit; it was a little bit of fabric origami that confused my tired brain, until I just folded it enough for it to finally make sense. And it wasn't that hard, simply stitching the excess "back" folded over on to the shoulder seam so that when you turned it back right side out it tucked under to make a nice finished edge. Not sure why I was so stumped but those 3D brain glitches do happen!
This was a really simple pattern for a really nice result, I think. The only alteration I made was to add 1/2 inch to each side seam, grading out from just above the waist to the hem. I wanted to be sure the hemline was floaty enough and I think it worked. I also set the sleeves in flat as I thought it would be easier.
Glad the pattern placement worked out too! When wearing, the centre yoke edges tended to fall outward (they aren't interfaced). It looks nice that way too, but I think I may add a pretty button at the join so that I can wear it either way.
So nice to have a make that goes just the way you want it to, especially when sewing a lot all at once. Love this one!