I don't make a lot of tops, generally sewing dresses as my first choice. But I had a really nice scrap of lightweight men's suiting that I wanted to use and thought it would make a great shirt. The fabric is soft and light, a mix of dark and light brown with black and even a smidge of navy blue in there.
I decided I had just enough for this top -- but actually there was not quite enough, as I ended up making the inside back yoke of plain black cotton and having to bias bind the underarm with black bias tape rather than self bias...but since I mostly wear it with this sweater that doesn't matter too much.
|Excuse the wrist brace, all that sewing you know!|
At least it matches...
|You can notice the black bias|
tape on the underarm area here
I like it a lot -- it's comfy and the fabric has a nice shimmer to it. This pattern, however, fits very large. The yoke and bust fit correctly, as I cut it to size at that point, but it really poofs out, thanks to all those square pleats, front and back. Perhaps it was because of my heavier fabric, but I find the back to be quite "sticky-outie" and if I make this again I'll likely reduce the fullness to only one centre pleat. But I like wearing this and always get a comment or two about the fabric when I do :) The yoke actually fits me, it is just pulling oddly in the picture below because of the weird way I am standing...
|Here I am auditioning for the |
front of a pattern envelope
So, overall a top that I like, but to make again I would choose a much drapier fabric and take in the fullness a bit. Don't really need a maternity top to add to my wardrobe!
Post a Comment
Share your comments, ideas or suggestions here -- I am always interested in hearing from readers. It's nice to have a conversation!