This last weekend was a long weekend -- and I took advantage of it to start a new dress project, and also to finish an old one! I've had this soft rayon knit cut out as a New Look 6542 since January, and thought I'd better finish it up before the hot summer weather arrives. It's also one more UFO off my list for this month...I only have two more to go.
In any case, I wanted to try this simple 90s pattern for a pullover dress. It looked comfy and back in fashion, at least enough to try out! It was a very easy sew but my fabric choice made it a bit trickier. This is a thin, very soft and drapy knit. I had to try a few needles before finding one that didn't leave marks in the fabric (ended up with the finest stretch needle in my multipak). It also means that the weight of the skirt has pulled the waistline down a bit, so it's less empire than intended. This dress grew about an inch today while I wore it!
The problems I had with this were mainly fabric ones. But there was also an issue with the pockets -- the markings have them so low, especially with the vertical stretch effect, that they are not usable as they are. I will have to take them out and move them up about 3 inches, to the waistline seam. This will not be too hard as I didn't understitch or reinforce them, wondering if they'd need to be moved in the end. So it will be a relatively quick unpicking and shifting project, one night's work. Then I can wear this as I like.
It was a fun project, and a good use of more of my stash fabric. But the pattern is so similar to the more current Moneta pattern by Colette that I'll probably just stick with that one in future. Now to finish my black floral dress that I also started on the weekend...
I really like that! I like where the waist is on yours too. :)ReplyDelete
Thanks! I hope it stays where it is and doesn't stretch further.Delete
Congratulations on another UFO off the to do list!ReplyDelete
Always UFOs! They do seem to pile up in fits of enthusiasm ;)Delete