|A silk Givenchy blouse that retails for $1331.00 Can. |
(why the extra $1?)
Once I found a similar-ish fabric (a beautifully soft and drapy rayon challis) in a fantastic black floral print, I decided to go for it. I cut out the slippery rayon and polyester contrast fabric, started sewing, and discovered that the pieces were not the same sizes for the medium that I'd cut. This stalled the sewing process as I got out all the paper pieces and re-measured and rechecked -- yes, I had cut the right pattern pieces, but they didn't match up. When I sewed in the front insert I saw this:
|After double checking and sewing facing on anyhow|
I can be spatially challenged, so I wondered if there was some reason for this that I was missing at the moment, and left it that way. Good thing, because when I pinned the collar on, it only reached to the edges of the floral front pieces. Instead of recutting a collar to the full length and trying again, I decided to stitch the inset piece and its facing together at the level of the base of the collar and turn it:
Then I sewed the collar to abut that spot. I actually love how it turned out, and it worked so well, I pored over the pattern illustrations and instructions to see if that was what I was supposed to be doing all along. Nope. But I like it.
|Done! I like it.|
The rest of the top went together just fine, as it was supposed to. It was pretty quick, indeed, but I really do think that the pattern pieces should line up. I'm totally second-guessing myself now and wondering what I did wrong to encounter that issue...I feel like I should make a second one right now to check if the pattern is indeed wonky or if was just me...if anyone else has made this please let me know if you've had issues like this. I don't like criticizing a pattern (and hope it isn't misplaced) but I don't think it was me.
|Done (and taking pics while freezing outside!)|
In any case, I absolutely LOVE the finished product. The rayon is amazing -- soft, silky, flowy -- and I adore the print. The fit is great around the bust area; loose-fitting but not huge -- there is a great shape to it even if it is a casual fit. If I make another, I'll be bringing that neckline notch up a couple of inches, though. I find it very low. And I just might narrow the centre piece since I am a smaller person (I ended up shortening the top by 2.5 inches before cutting, perhaps taking in some width would balance it nicely)
|And from the back. Love this fabric!|
Whew. My first garment started and finished with my new sewing machine (thanks, Mom!) and a fun entry into the Bargainista Fashionista contest...by the way, the cost of my top ($7.50) compared to the original represents a saving of 99.4 % -- home sewing for the win ;)
|Collar in action|
|Side by Side|