This week's stitching on my Peace for Ukraine project is the sunflower - that's where I started in on the florals. It's really lovely; two layers of petals in two tones of yellow, with an outline stitch, and some details in the base of the petals.
The petals are all done in satin stitch. I started out on the inner petals, carefully filling them in the way that Natalie shows in her stitchalong video. But as I went along I realized I could save a little thread by switching to a stitch I've seen called "Mexican Satin Stitch" (not sure why). Instead of moving your needle up and down across the space you're filling, which essentially gives you full coverage front and back, the adapted stitch has your needle going from top to bottom, then up again right beside where you just went down, and so on. This means the front looks like satin stitch, and the back is a series of little discrete stitches. Much less thread.
Next up: more french knots!! What else could you possibly use to fill in the centre of a sunflower. More chance to practice my technique I guess ;)