Anyhow, this first black version was made of some suiting that I thrifted a while ago, very nice quality. I cut a 44, but found that I needed to take the waist in by nearly 3" -- partly because I can't stand skirts that sit below the natural waistline. Size 44 fit very well everywhere else so just narrowing the waist was the main adjustment I made. I trimmed down the side seams by 1/2" on each side and took some width in on either side of the zip. For future, I adjusted the pattern so that the back width is reduced by increasing the dart intake, not trimming the zip edges!
It's fully lined, and the Burda instructions have you attach the lining to the other edge of the folded waistband, flip it all inside and then topstitch the waistband seam from the front to finish. I hate that; it is so messy and frustrating! Next time I'm just going to use my favoured technique of basting the lining to the skirt at the top edge, then attaching the waistband. Much tidier in the end, at least for me. It just means you have to think ahead about finishing the lining edge at the zip, but that's pretty easy.
But as a wearable muslin it worked out, and I love the cute little D-Ring accent in the front. Those are just tabs that you sew into the waistband but they give it a great look. Again, slant pockets, which I love. I really like the shape and fit of this pattern and think that with my adjustments it might be a go-to.
D Rings are such an interesting addition - I can see practical uses for them as well as decoration. The fit is lovely. Sometimes we try new techniques (such as your lining attachment) just because we should be able to do it, we think, but it is good to know your tried and true method is so effective.ReplyDelete
Yes, sometimes what you know is really best ;) I'm remaking this pattern now and have changed quite a few of the process steps to my faves ;)Delete