I've been going through some of my Burda magazines recently and tracing off some patterns. I prepped this really interesting swing top a few months ago but have only now got around to trying it!
It's a jersey top, #115 from the 11/18 issue. I really like how the neckline and sleeves are fitted, with an extra swing in the back. A nice fit at the shoulder & neck makes oversize items look like they are intentional, and aren't just too big for you!
|Feeling pretty Rock'n'Roll here with this painting by local artist Blair Yeomans|
I used up the last of my "test" jersey for my first trial of this top. This was a huge 6m or so piece of lightweight knit I got at the thrift store for $2 a couple of years ago, and have used to test many pieces. I've only kept and worn these two, though -- my Itch to Stitch Lindy Petal Skirt (a free pattern which I highly recommend) and now, this Burda swing top.
This one is an easy Burda; their lack of complex instructions doesn't really matter here, since the top is only 3 pieces: front, back and sleeve. The extra features that make this more special than just a straightforward top include gathers at the shoulder both front and back, and a shaped back hem that has a bit of an angled shape to assist in a nice drape. I also really like how the sleeve is 3/4 length and quite close fitting. It adds a nice structure to the shape.
This was an easy sew, but one difficulty I had was getting the neckline to sit smoothly. It's just a turn-under-and-stitch finish, but the gathers are pretty close to the edge of the neckline, and the turn under is thus not totally even. Also, I needed to pinch about 3/4" out of the centre front, which I didn't do on this test garment, and it throws the balance off a bit. Not enough so that I won't wear it, but I did correct it on my second garment which I've already cut out ;) I've also moved the gathering over closer to the shoulder by 1/2" to give myself a little more room.
When I traced this pattern, I made the decision to add 3" to the hem and make this more of a tunic length, to suit my own preferences. I've left the original hem line traced on the pattern as well in case I ever want to make the original shorter length. However, I'm not 20 and don't usually wear short tees half-tucked like in the styled Burda photo so that's not too likely. I prefer it the way I've finished it for my own habits.
It was an easy make, with minimal adjustments for me, and it feels comfortable and stylish to wear. I think this is definitely a winner in my books -- like I said, this test garment is one I will wear (and have worn twice in the 6 days since I've finished it) and have already cut a fancier second version! I have a couple more Burda tops that have been traced off for a while and I'm hoping to also get to those this fall.
|You can really see the side drape here|
And if you can get this little Boomerang video to work, you can really see the fullness of the swing!